Monday, June 14, 2010

Starting Over

On August 31, 2009, everything changed.

I was laid off  -  actually, the paperwork says "Position Eliminated", which amounts to the same thing.

The financial repercussions weren't immediate, thanks to a generous severance package, but the emotional effects were something else.

I went through several stages ... I was determined to have another job before my birthday. Then before Christmas.  Then before Easter.  Then before Canada Day.  Now?  Well, before my EI runs out, I hope ... But the jobs just aren't out there.  My field has shrunk, as I put it to friends, like a cashmere sweater in a laundromat dryer; every job posted  -  and there aren't many  -  gets an average of five HUNDRED applicants.  The odds are not in my favour right now, but that doesn't stop me from looking, nor from breaking out of my comfort zone to apply for jobs outside my field that I think I'm qualified for.
It's hard.  It's discouraging.  It's brutal on the ego.  But I WILL NOT let that stop me.

In the meantime, I'm doing whatever I can to minimize expenses, bring in extra income, and increase my chances of getting a new job.  And that's what this blog is all about.

Being frugal.
Being determined.
Being adventurous.
Being creative.

And  -  with a little luck, and a lot of hard work  -  being employed again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions? All welcome!
Profanity or gratuitous rudeness - NOT welcome.