Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Unhappy Anniversary

Yesterday was the anniversary of my becoming unemployed.  I have now been without a paying job for one year and one day.

I'm angry.  I'm depressed.  I feel worthless.  My ego is bruised and bleeding.  My self-esteem is in the toilet.  When I remember how long I originally thought it would take me to find another job, I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or throw up.

Yes, I know there are a lot of people who've been out of work a lot longer.  I know that it's not my fault there aren't enough jobs to go around.  I know I'm doing all the right things to find another job.  I know that sooner or later, I will be working again.

But none of that makes me feel any better right now.

Maybe tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I wish there were some useful thing to say, but I'm afraid there isn't.
    The only thing I can say is that you are intelligent, talented and motivated. Someone will hire you, and be lucky to get you.
    In the meantime, why not allow yourself a little bit of anger/screaming* every day? 'Cause the situation DOES suck. It really ISN'T fair.
    On the (slightly) bright side, your writing about this may be helping someone who feels the same way and thinks s/he is the only one who can't find work.
    Stay strong, except when you're doing the anger/screaming thing.
    *Screaming into a pillow is recommended, lest neighbors call police.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions? All welcome!
Profanity or gratuitous rudeness - NOT welcome.